35 Hillhouse Avenue (YALE PROVOST'S HOUSE)

historic preservation

Bush Holley Vernon Old Lyme Town Hall Martha Culver Museum Plumb Memorial Old Newgate Henry Whitfield Church Street Prudence Crandall

For the last forty years this mansion has been home to all of Yale University’s Provosts. When it was built in 1836 it was part of the most prestigious street in New Haven, if not in all of Connecticut. The house was built for a wealthy Boston widow, Mary Pritchard and was designed by esteemed architect Alexander Jackson Davis. A number of additions and alterations have occurred over the years. David C. Collins purchased the house in 1850 and in 1916 Henry H. Townshend, a prominent lawyer and civic leader, lived here. Yale University then bought the house and converted it into a student dormitory. Since 1967 the house has been returned to a one-family dwelling, opened occasionally for large catered parties. Our firm was selected to restore the entire building with special attention to historic details, upgrade all of the systems and increase the functionality of its rooms and corridors.

35 Hillhouse 35 Hillhouse Ave